18 September 2017

Automated Intelligence vs Automated Muscle

As previously posted I've long had an issue with the "misuse" of the term AI. I usually replace "AI" with "algorithms inside" and the marketing statement I'm reading still makes complete sense!

Jerry Kaplan speaking on the Today programme last week was using the term "automation" to refer to what a lot of current AI is doing - and actually that fits just as well, and also highlights that this is something more than just simple algorithms, even if it's a long way short of science-fiction AIs and Artificial General Intelligence.

So now I'm happy to go with "automated intelligence" as what modern AI does - it does automate some aspects of a very narrow "intelligence" - and the use of the word automated does suggest that there are some limits to the abilities (which "artificial" doesn't).

And seeing as I was at an AI and Robotics conference last week that also got me to thinking that robotics is in many ways just "automated muscle", giving us a nice dyad with advanced software manifesting itself as automated intelligence (AI), and advanced hardware manifesting as automated muscle (robots).


No comments:

Post a Comment